Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thousand Island Salad Dressing


Thousand Island salad dressing: ubiquitous, popular, familiar, most purchased. I'm not embarrassed to admit that it's my first choice to dress a garden salad. Now that I know how easy it is to prepare it fresh at home, I won't need to purchase it.

This recipe tastes exactly like store bought. If I had to come up with one thing that would give away the homemade factor, it's the consistency - commercial salad dressings contain xanthan gum, a thickening agent, which in my opinion is unnecessary here. Otherwise, no difference. I promise.

Thousand Island Salad Dressing

Recipezaar

Makes 3/4 cup


1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons ketchup

1 tablespoon white vinegar

2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish or chopped pickles

1 teaspoon finely minced white onion

1/8 teaspoon salt

few grindings black pepper, to taste


Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir well to combine and refrigerate several hours, stirring occasionally, to allow sugar to dissolve and flavors to marry.



Liked something? Didn't like it? Questions? Leave a comment!
Twitter!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy, I will definitely try it b/c I'm always buying it! We use it on turkey croissants-deli turkey with muenster and a crescent roll folded over and sealed...or I use it in 'traditional' chicken salad-the one without the apples, grapes, and nuts...mmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...